“The Sparkling City by the Sea”, as it is proudly called by its residents, has an even more spiritually sparkling name, Corpus Christi (Body of Christ), and is situated on Corpus Christi Bay, an adjunct to the Gulf of Mexico. It would seem natural to assume that this city would have a chapel of perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, which we venerate as the true Body of Christ. But although the Bay was named in 1766, it was not until over two hundred years later that such a chapel would be founded. In 1967 the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters were considering such a plan.

Some years previously, the then Bishop of Corpus Christi, Mariano Garriga, had suggested that the Congregation make a foundation in his diocese, but at that time it was not feasible. Now the time seemed to be ripe. Having heard that Bishop Garriga had set aside a fund to be used in establishing a convent of perpetual adoration, the Sisters wrote to the incumbent Bishop Thomas J. Drury, inquiring whether it was his intention to carry out the designs of his predecessor. Bishop Drury considered the Congregation’s inquiry as an answer to prayer. On the very day that the letter arrived, he telephoned, asking that Sisters come to see him, as he was most anxious to have us in his diocese. Three Sisters were guests of Bishop Drury for two days, during which he immediately began outlining plans. As a humble beginning, he would convert his own residence into an adoration chapel and convent.

Almost three years were to pass before this became a reality. In 1969 Mother Mary Aurora was elected superior general. This foundation was to be one of her first decisions and the first of eleven convents that she would found over the next three decades. On February 2, 1970 the first Mass was offered by Bishop Drury in the new little chapel. He himself kept the first hour of adoration, together with the appointed Sisters. Plans for a permanent chapel and convent were drawn up, since the small size of the chapel did not allow many of the faithful to participate in the liturgy and adoration. On the solemnity of Corpus Christi 1974, the beautiful new chapel and convent was dedicated. Since then the chapel continues to draw many of all ages for daily Mass, Holy Hours and silent adoration of our Eucharistic Lord.

How to contact

Blessed Sacrament Convent
4105 Ocean Drive Corpus Christi
TX 78411-1223

Tel:  (001) 361-852-6212
Fax: (001) 361-852-8815

For more images : click here